Re: Japanese character need help

From: John O'Conner (
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 15:13:44 EDT

Heinz Baumann wrote:
> First, I think you have to get a Japanese (double byte) enabled
> version of Visual C++ and the Japanese (double byte) enabled
> Win32 SDK. The second at least is required in order for you

Actually, the VC++ 4.2 or 5.0 environments are perfectly capable of
producing Japanese localized and internationalized products. There is no
special double-byte enabled product (it is already enabled by default);
however, there is probably a Japanese localized product if you just want
to have the VC++ UI in Japanese. Also, you will need to run the product
on Windows 95 J or Windows NT J if you want input method support (for
creating resource strings, menus, etc.). However, you can create
perfectly double-byte aware applications with just the U.S. English VC++
on English versions of '95 or NT.

> to get the API function to understand that you are dealing with
> double byte characters. If you use the English version of VC++
> and SDK, the API probaly things that the strings passed to it
> are in a single byte encoding and your mail header/contents is not
> processed correctly. (Maybe you can set the _MBCS flag and the
> English VC++ works as well. I don't know whether this works for
> the APIs.)

If you #define _MBCS or set it in the IDE, VC++ will link in double-byte
aware versions of all the run-time libraries (useful for many languages,
not just Japanese). The Win32 APIs understand Japanese text perfectly
well if you run the application on a Japanese system. Yes, you can use
the English localized VC++; in fact, I use it every day to create
internationally enabled products, including those for Japan.

> I also don't know Java but I've heard that the the Java API should
> have the required language support included. Check Sun's Java
> site for more information on that.

Yes, the Java language, environment, and development tools support many
languages and locales.

However, the fact that you use Java or VC++ to do development is
probably not the important factor for this list. More importantly (for
this list) is that Unicode can accomodate your needs for a universal
character set and encoding . . . and it certainly covers Japanese.
Unicode is supported in varying degrees on many OS platforms and
environments, including Windows 95, Windows NT, and Java.

John O'Conner
JDK Internationalization Engineer
Sun Microsystems, JavaSoft Division