Re: Rendering with font application on code: reversibility possible Even with 7-bit :)

From: John Tsolometes (johnsolo@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 09:22:08 EDT

Let's not forget that Kermit is a protocol that was designed for maximum
portability. It allows machines of various bits, even 5 bits in the case of
Baudot to succesfully transfer binary data. ASCII in 7/8 bit mode also has
this capability, although not always used correctly in 7-bit stripping. It
is called the Shift In Shift OUT sequence. Essentially if all software would
QUOTE 8-bit, when converting to 7-bit and back instead of toosing away that
bit then one to one correspodence for 8-bit streams would be handled the way
God intended thhem to be handled. The sender of a message should quote the
message in 7-bit format. This would make most files only slightly larger
than now.:) and make the incentive to Correctly xlat 7-bits to 8-bits all
the more urgent. If bit 8 isn't 0 then it is intentional and should be left
alone. This all hardware/software Compatable 100%, and provide and incentive
to LEARN from efforts like NAPLPS, and videotext.