ISO 2022 (was: Rendering with font application etc.)

From: John Cowan (cowan@drv.cbc.com)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 14:13:28 EDT

Frank da Cruz wrote:

> Although this is rather far afield from current topics, I suppose it bears
> restatement, since it is "old" and nobody remembers any more that there are
> decades-old standards that tell us how to transmit any ISO-registered
> character set in both the 8-bit and 7-bit environments, and to do so in a
> simple and fairly efficient manner, using a choice (or mixture) of single
> shifts and locking shifts.

Part of the problem is that clear, coherent explanations of ISO 2022
are hard to find. I have put together one myself, based entirely
on what I have been able to glean from reading code and searching
the Web, as a part of implementing ISO 2022 in the ASCII-font
program FIGlet (http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu/users/chai/figlet.html).

I don't want to burden the Unicode list with the text, but I would
like someone (or ones) to review it. Any volunteers?
(The text is about 600 words long.)

ObUnicode: FIGlet uses Unicode internally and understands UTF-8
input.

			e'osai ko sarji la lojban