Re: Caring about European requirements sensitively!

From: Jonathan Rosenne (rosenne@netvision.net.il)
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 10:37:43 EDT

At 05:37 23/10/97 -0700, Alain LaBont\i - 2 wrote:
>And, yes, the EURO will have to be introduced in other 8859 parts,
>hopefully with the same code position it will definitely have in Latin 0.

I see no reason to change 8859-8 (Hebrew). On the other hand, as far as the
"currency symbol" is concerned, I don't see why we should care very much
about the glyph or the name. If plus/minus is selected it may be a problem.

BTW, most financial systems in Israel are dual currency, NS and USD. The NS
is normally marked as Shin or Shin-Double Quote-Het. The New Sheqel Sign
(20AA) is not legally required and is used only by MS Windows (if the user
does not change the default). The Euro will be needed only for foreign
trade, where it will anyhow be one of many currencies and thus not a problem.

Jonathan