Re: Mayan, Rongo-Rongo (was Re: Etruscan)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Wed Nov 05 1997 - 12:52:33 EST

Martin asked, perhaps rhetorically:

> And what is done, or should be done, with Mayan text embedded in
> Latin? E.g.:
>

> This is an example of Mayan: 1 2 7 8
> 3 4 9 10
> 5 6 11 12. It speaks about ...
>
> or:
>
> This is an example of Mayan: 1 2 7 8. It speaks about ...
> 3 4 9 10
> 5 6 11 12
>
> or what else? Again, we probably don't know the answer, and
> we may not even need one.

My answer would be:

This is an example of Mayan:

        1 2 7 8
        3 4 9 10
        5 6 11 12

          Fig. 1

It speaks about ...

When embedding Mayan text in Latin (as opposed to embedding a
figure showing formatted Mayan text in formatted Latin text),
I would propose instead:

This is an example of Mayan: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12. It speaks
about ...

We don't need to go to schemes as exotic as layout of Mayan
hieroglyphs to grasp the basic principle that mixing vertical layout
and horizontal layout shouldn't follow the kind of model set
for bidirectional layout. Instead, mixing orthogonal directions
is basically done by embedding textual frames (perhaps in a figure,
or in a framed text box, or in otherwise blocked text). This is
a higher-level formatting issue a propos of page layout, rather
than default, line-oriented text layout. Japanese magazine layout
mixes directionality for aesthetic reasons--and it works by page
layout frames, rather than line layout. (I'm not talking about
rotated Latin text in vertical Japanese text, which is yet another
issue.)

--Ken