Re: Revised ISO 2022 explanation

From: Werner Lemberg (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Fri Nov 07 1997 - 11:59:07 EST

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> ISO 2022 is an extremely rich and complex standard, with a very
> large number of options, many of which have never been used in practice,
> and only a few of which are typically exercised at one time.
>
> which might be paraphrased as:
>
> "All the rope you need to hang yourself *and* all your friends
> and neighbors!"

I don't think so. ISO 2022 can be very powerful (as the Emacs 20 editor
and its ancestor Mule show) and useful. Of course, Unicode is a better
solution in most cases, but as long as the missing rare CJK glyphs (which
are available in CNS) aren't in Unicode, I see a niche for ISO 2022.

BTW, when will the Unicode CJK extension be officially adopted?

    Werner