Re: ISO official entity name list

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 13:08:00 EST

Jonathan Rosenne wrote:

> At 15:26 07/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >We are trying to standardize entity names for the upcoming products.
>
> For Hebrew, the SII officially approved list can be found at
>
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Jonathan_Rosenne/hebent.txt

I noticed that you have named entities for LRE, RLE, LRO, RLO and PDF.
RFC 2070 (HTML I18N) recommends against mixing the HTML syntax for the
above with the actual Unicodes. I would guess that a similar
recommendation should exist for the named entities. I.e., people should
use <... DIR="LTR">, <... DIR="RTL">, <BDO DIR="LTR">, <BDO DIR="RTL">
and the corresponding close tags, respectively, instead of the named
entities. Perhaps you should put a comment about this in your file that
contains the list of named entities?

> We plan to submit them to ISO soon.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to submit them to the ISO SGML group
or HTML group?

Erik