Re: Creating global applications in Java

From: Kevin Bracey (
Date: Wed Nov 12 1997 - 04:37:24 EST

On Tue 11 Nov, David Goldsmith wrote:
> Kevin Bracey ( wrote:
> The order of precedence for encoding specifications is:
> 1. charset parameter in TEXT/HTML MIME header.
> 2. META tag in document itself.
> 3. charset parameter of anchor that was followed, if any.
> 4. User preference item (e.g., Encoding menu).
> See RFC 2070, "Internationalization of the Hypertext Markup Language",
> thought that document doesn't mention the position of "user preference"
> in the ordering. However, this is the ordering I've seen recommended by
> the authors of that document, and it's the ordering that Internet
> Explorer and Netscape implement, at least on the Macintosh.

Hmmm. I don't use IE or Netscape, personally, and when I did fiddle with
them I found their interface for encoding selection somewhat bizarre. My
source was the HTML 4.0 draft of 17-Sep-1997, which says:

1. Explicit user action to override erroneous behaviour.
2. An HTTP "charset" parameter.
3. A META declaration.
4. The "charset" attribute of A and LINK elements.
5. User agent heuristics (eg autodetection) and user settings.

That's what I've implemented.

Kevin Bracey, Senior Software Engineer
Acorn Computers Ltd                           Tel: +44 (0) 1223 725228
Acorn House, 645 Newmarket Road               Fax: +44 (0) 1223 725901
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom            WWW: