Re: Serious bug on www.microsoft.com -> is GB_2312-80 widely accepted?

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 1997 - 14:46:48 EST

Sam Sun wrote:

> Thanks for clearing this up for me! I got confused because I had my
> browser's default encoding set to GB2312.
>
> So "gb_2312-80" is the correct charset encoding, and Front Page did it
> right.

No no no no no. As I explained, "gb2312" is the correct name.

> One more problem though. It seems that Netscape Communicator doesn't
> recognize the "gb_2312-80", but only "gb2312". IE4.0 supports both.

Microsoft doesn't seem to realize that there is a difference between the two.
Netscape supports the correct one. Since "gb2312" works in both companies'
browsers, you should use this name.

> I just created a web page which can be used to test against these tags, and
> it's at: http://ssun.cnri.reston.va.us/gb2312/index.html
>
> So, is GB_2312-80 a widely accepted name?

No.

> I'm new to the list, please someone let me know if the question shouldn't be
> raised here.

Tex and Rick suggested that bug reports be sent directly to the relevant
companies, but I feel that these charset names are confusing to many people, so
I'd rather spread the info as widely as possible.

Erik