A few questions

From: Emil HER?AK (emil.hersak@zg.tel.hr)
Date: Sat Nov 22 1997 - 09:35:44 EST

Since I am very new to this list, I appologise if I am asking some questions that have already been discussed or resolved. However, since I am trying to get my system to use unicode as much as possible, I would very much appreciate some help on the following items:

1) Imput methods. I am using Win95 Pan-European version with Croatian regional settings. As is know this allows access of only a part of the unicode character set. I have managed to produce Extended Greek and Old Church Slavonic fonts, according to the present proposals. To imput them I use Greek and Cyrillic keyboard drivers (somewhat changed) and then either the insert symbol or autocorrect options in Word 97. The later is a bit awkword, so I am wondering whether there is a more convenient solution to the problem. At the present, switching from Win95 is not convenient for me.

2) In regard to Old Cyrillic, how should one treat the alternative glyphs, such as the alternative glyph for the letter "uk".

3) Since I also use, at time, glagolitic script, I would like to know what has been done on the encoding of this script. As an interim solution, I have re-arranged my glagolitic font to conform to the Old Cyrillic. This is convenient, since generally glagolitic corresponds to Old Cyrillic to a very high degree. There are, however, some deviations, especially in regard to angular glagolitic, used in printing some Croatian texts even till the 19th century (this includes also ligatures). Since there is in fact no real distinction between lower and upper case in glagolitic, especially in the original form, I have attempted to solve the problem more or less by positioning angular glagolitic on the upper case position for Old Cyrillic and the "original" (older) rounded glagolitic on the lower case. A problem has remained in regard to certain rare characters that appear only in some inscriptions (such as the inscription from Bas^ka, from the 11th century, the oldest vernacular text in Croatia). These glyphs I have placed in the private use area, but I am not sure if this is the best solution.

4) Getting back to Cyrillic, what would be the best way to treat the special Bosnian Cyrillic script ("bosanc^ica"), used principally by Bosnian Catholics (and Croats) in the passed centuries. There are also some differences in regard to Old Cyrillic, but I assume that the best would be to use the Cyrillic positions.

Sincerely,

Emil Hersak,
Zagreb (Croatia)
emil.hersak@zg.tel.hr