Re: Properties of multibyte encodings

From: John Cowan (cowan@drv.cbc.com)
Date: Tue Nov 25 1997 - 13:45:50 EST

Greg Hullender wrote:

> I'm not sure even SJIS satisfies your criteria, actually, since it doesn't
> exactly match ASCII in the 00-7F range (backslash and tilde change to
> yen-sign and macron) and SJIS certainly is stateful, in that you cannot
> index into the middle of a string and be sure what character you are seeing.

Arguably the use of yen-sign and macron are at the glyphic variant
level (I know that's not what the mapping tables say), since they
are used as if they were backslash and tilde by Japanese software.

SJIS is stateful, but it doesn't have *shift* states. Although you
must start at an aligned position, you need not know what has come
before. Full ISO 2022 systems don't have this property.

			e'osai ko sarji la lojban