Re: I-D ACTION:draft-yamamoto-charset-iso-2022-jp-00.txt (fwd)

From: John Cowan (cowan@drv.cbc.com)
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 13:50:59 EST

Martinus J. Dürst scripsit:

> For those interested in the details of why iso-2022-jp is not
> conforming, please see below. The draft in the meantime came
> out as an RFC, but I don't remember the number.

Okay, I've read it. The "non-conformance" is of a purely technical
variety. JIS X 0208:1990 contains two addditional characters but is
otherwise identical to JIS X 0208:1983, an ISO-registered character
set. There is a registered Version-ID escape sequence
to distinguish the 1990 version from the 1983 version.

ISO-2022-JP does not support this version escape sequence, but allows
the two extra characters anyway. This allows old decoders to cope
until and unless one of the two characters is found, rather than
choking immediately on the Version-ID.

That's all there is to it.

			e'osai ko sarji la lojban