Re: UK (and Church Slavonic and Glagolitic character sets)

From: John Clews (
Date: Fri Nov 28 1997 - 19:12:27 EST

In message <> Doug Ewell
<> writes via

> I suspect that compatibility with existing coded character sets had
> a lot to do with encoding U+03C2 and U+03C3 separately. After all,
> there are plenty of coded character sets for Greek and Hebrew, but
> not many for Old Church Slavonic. Is this correct?

There is the ISO 6861 character set standard: this provides codings
for Church Slavonic and Glagolitic characters.

This was developed by ISO/TC46/SC4/WG1.

Best wishes

John Clews

John Clews (Chair of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages)

SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road, Harrogate, HG2 7PG, England Email:; tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432