Re: Unicode BDF fonts available

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 15:57:46 EST

    Jungshik> Glyphs for all the Hangul syllables in Unicode 2.0(11,172
    Jungshik> of them) can be obtained in BDF from a few freely
    Jungshik> available Hangul true type fonts (e.g. Bitstream Cyberit
    Jungshik> and MS IE Int'l Extension for Korean) using ttf2bdf-k(a
    Jungshik> version of ttf2bdf patched by Choi, Jun-Ho which fixes the
    Jungshik> problem arising from the false assumption of the original
    Jungshik> ttf2bdf about TrueType font format. The original ttf2bdf
    Jungshik> can't handle 'composite' glyphs in truetype font unless it
    Jungshik> has been fixed since). Of course, it has to be made sure
    Jungshik> that Bitstream and MS don't mind their fonts being
    Jungshik> released in BDF. MS fonts contain Hanja (Chinese letters
    Jungshik> as used in Korea. over four thousands of them defined in
    Jungshik> KS C 5601-1987),too. ttf2bdf-k is available at
    Jungshik> <url:http://jazz.snu.ac.kr/~junker/work/ttf2bdf-k/>. The
    Jungshik> web page is in Korean, but one doesn't have to read it to
    Jungshik> use ttf2bdf-k.

The latest version of ttf2bdf is 1.6 (part of the latest Freetype
beta distribution) and you can specify a mapping table on the command
line to convert from the selected platform and encoding ID to some other
character set encoding (i.e. Unicode to KSC5601.1987). The advantage of
CHOI Jun-Ho's version is that the Korean conversions are built in, but I
believe it was based on version 1.3. Version 1.6 binaries are
available from:

  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/ttf2bdf-1.6-ELF.tar.gz
  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/ttf2bdf-1.6-SOLARIS.tar.gz
  ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/General/ttf2bdf-1.6-SUNOS.tar.gz

The ftp site for the Freetype (including ttf2bdf) sources available upon
request.

To avoid problems with commercial fonts, I am working on a set of Hangul
modelled after (but not copied from) the Munhwa fonts. I might use the
Cyberbit font as a temporary solution.

    Jungshik> It should be easy enough to incorporate glyphs for 11,172
    Jungshik> of Hangul into your Unicode font if you don't mind
    Jungshik> enormous size increase. I wish this information would
    Jungshik> help your Unicode font be more complete.

Thanks! I appreciate your help. I will try to get Hangul added in the
near future.
mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu
Mark Leisher "A designer knows he has achieved perfection
Computing Research Lab not when there is nothing left to add, but
New Mexico State University when there is nothing left to take away."
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Las Cruces, NM 88003