Re: unicode UNIX editor recommendations

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 12:02:51 EST

David Pope asked:

> Does anyone have recommendations for a UNICODE text editor for
> UNIX, specifically for HPs? Also, any recommendations for the
same on NT.

Yeah, sure. If I were you, I'd run NextStep (or what is now Apple's
Rhapsody, or OpenStep) and use the standard out-of-the-box editor
"TextEdit". It works rather well and can produce "native" Unicode
text files. It reads & writes a few common code sets also, like
Latin 1 and 2, Japanese EUC, etc. Doesn't do Bi-Di, unfortunately.

Oh yeah, and the OpenStep environment runs on NT also, so you can
use the same "TextEdit" there as well. Somewhere out in the world,
you can buy these products.

        Rick