Re: Understanding the Hangul mapping tables

From: Seong-Woong Kim (s197247@ccs.sogang.ac.kr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 22:45:52 EST

Tim Greenwood wrote

> Column 3 from the Hangul file matches column 1 from the Ksc5601 file -
this
> is reasonable since they are both labeled 'Unified Hangul'. How does this
> relate to the Column 4 Johab, which is labeled as KSC5601-1992 ?
> Ken Lunde's book describes the byte range for Ksc5601-1992 as A1-FE for
both
> bytes. The range in the Unified Hangul tables is 81-FD for byte 1 and
41-FF
> for byte 2.
> How does it all fit together? What are the actual codes that a Korean
> browser will emit ?

Korean Standard KS C 5601 - 1987 only included Wansung Hangul.
In 1992 Korean govenment revised it to KS C 5601 - 1992.
KS C 5601 - 1992 newly included Johab Hangul as Annex 3.

As we know, Unifiled Hangul was from Microsoft. It is MS's own
extention including Wansung Hangul that enables us to use
11,172 Hangul characters.

So, Ken's information is right partly.
The byte range for KS C 5601 - 1992 - Wansung is A1-FE for both bytes.
But the byte range for KS C 5601 - 1992 Annex 3 - Johab is

        First byte range Second byte range
    Hangul: 84h - D3h 41h-7Eh, 81h-FEh
    User-defined area: D8h 31h-7Eh, 91h-FEh
    Etc.: D9h-DEh 31h-7Eh, 91h-FEh
    Hanja: E0h-F9h 31h-7Eh, 91H-FEh

Wansung Hangul and Johab Hangul are different.
They have same characters(Hangul, Hanja, Etc.) on different
code points.

As I know, Korean Windows 95, NT is based of Unicode, and
implement Unified Hangul including Wansung Hangul on top of it, Unicode.

  Seong-Woong Kim (Daniel Kim)
  Computer Science graduate student
  Parallel Programming Languages and Systems Laboratory
  Computer Science Sogang University Seoul, Korea
  s197247@ccs.sogang.ac.kr
  kswoong@pljuno.sogang.ac.kr
  http://plstar.sogang.ac.kr/~kswoong
  To know God and to make Him known... - Worshiping Warrior