Re: Coptic casing; N1658 proposal to encode Coptic in ISO/IEC 10646

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 07:42:25 EST

Ar 01:00 -0800 1997-12-10, scríobh Marc Wilhelm Küster@unicode.org:
>Somewhat belatedly I would like to comment on Michael Everson's mail on
>Coptic casing.
>
> According to my information Coptic is, contrary to what "Les caractères
>de l'Impremerie Nationale" suggest, a caseless language.

> It is quite possible that in the course of this consultation the need
>for uppercase Coptic letters might reappear.

L'Imprimerie uses them in its printed materials, and some exist for Coptic
letters already in the standard. Therefore capital letters exist in Coptic,
even if they were not used in antiquity. The data exists. If we add more
coptic characters, we should add them with case. No user is required to use
them.

--
Michael Everson, EGT * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)