RE: short Unicode names?

From: Werner Lemberg (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Mon Jan 05 1998 - 08:39:35 EST

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Murray Sargent wrote:

> For 16-bit TeX, I recommend abandoning the old ASCII name approach and use
> Unicode directly. Thankfully we no longer are limited to ASCII as was Knuth
> in the old days. Or are you interested in such names in order to have a
> simple keyboard input method?

The problem is not using Unicode with Omega (aka 16bit TeX), but writing
mapping tables to the zillion non-Unicode fonts. And here a description of
the font which can be accessed as a TeX macro is of great help.

And Omega is by no means restricted to Unicode (which would be a bad
choice since Omega addresses typesetting and not information exchange).

    Werner