German-library Collation

From: Tex Texin (texin@bedford.progress.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 18:26:32 EST

HI,
I had pc trouble or I would have responded sooner. Just want to say
thanks to everyone that responded and is still responding on this
subject. It's become quite clear to me that what my customer desired and
has been fervently insisting was German-library collation, is in fact
something of his own imagination and really has nothing to do with the
true bibliographic model. Knowing this has made my job much simpler.
However, I am still interested in understanding this further.

The fact that diacritics have higher precedence than case is of interest
to me.

I wonder if anyone is planning on implementing German-libary collation or
its nearest equivalent according to the 14651 specification or as Unicode
based?I would be interested in using the tables as a basis for what this
customer really needs and will probably be reduced to a one pass sort
with some pre-transliteration. (You see how far he is from the actual
spec!)

tex

Tex Texin                Manager International Products

Progress Software Corp.        Voice:   +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:   +1-781-280-4949
Bedford, MA 01730  USA
http://www.progress.com      texin@bedford.progress.com
June 1-4, 1998    Americas Users Conference      Dallas, Texas U.S.A.
Aug. 17-19, 1998  Asia/Pacific Users Conference, Melbourne, Australia
Sept. 28-30, 1998 European Users Conference,     London, England
Find out more about Progress and Unicode at the
12th International Unicode Conference, Tokyo, April 8-10 1998