Re: Regular expressions in Unicode (Was: Ethiopic text)

From: Mark Davis (medavis2@us.ibm.com)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 20:47:24 EST

I agree that in the usual case, to be able to specify just "letter", "uppercase
letter", etc. accounts for a lot of usage, and can be locale-independent.

For ranges, one possibility is when the user specifies [a-d], the program
figures out the user's locale *at that time*, and translates that into the
appropriate locale-independent ranges:

e.g. the equivalent of [aAbBcCdDæÆáÁàÀäÄåÅçÇ] for my locale, but excluding
a-ring and a-umlaut for a Swede's locale [aAbBcCdDæÆáÁàÀçÇ].

That way, you end up with locale-independent ranges that can be exchanged.

Mark Edward Davis, Program Director,
IBM Centre for Java Technology SV
800 El Camino Real West, Mountain View, CA 94040
voice: (408) 777-5116, fax: (650) 335-2215
mailto:medavis2@us.ibm.com, mailto:president@unicode.org

kenw@sybase.com on 98/03/12 03:42:07 nm
Please respond to unicode@unicode.org @ internet