Re: Kang Xi on-line?

From: Doug Schiffer (laotzu.XYZZY@dreamscape.com)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 16:49:49 EST

John H. Jenkins wrote:

> On 3/22/98 8:56 AM, Doug Schiffer (laotzu.XYZZY@dreamscape.com) wrote:
>
> >I recently looked at a copy of the Kang Xi dictionary to check out some
> >of the Unihan Extension A characters. Unfortunately, the edition got
> >was not the 1989 edition spelled out in the Unicode standard docs. As I
> >suspected, the page numbering on the new edition was different than 1989
> >edition. This means that the cross reference tables are not correct for
> >other editions <sigh>.
> >
> >Does there exist a set of bitmaps of the characters in 1989 edition
> >somewhere?
> >

> Not that I'm aware. (If you find one, let me know.)

The Search engines I've consulted with so far have failed to find any
:-(

>There are only two
> editions of KangXi that are in common use nowadays, and the pages are in
> fact the same, only numbered differently. I believe they're offset one
> from another by 72. Perhaps this will help.

Well, I must have found one of the *uncommon* ones, because here's a
comparison of the
locations of some Unicode codepoints in the 2 Kang Xis:

Unicode Brand X Official
         Kang Xi Kang Xi cref
======= ======= ============
557A 138.120 196.270
557B 138.140 196.290
557C 138.150 197.010

669A 475.340 498.320
669B 475.360 498.340

7179 678.100 678.170

As you can see, the number of the character on the page doesn't
matchup. Further, the page number differential changes as you preceed
through the dictionary. To me, that means that the pages are of
different sizes - Brand X must put fewer characters per page.

Drats! I've lost the bibliographic record page that contained exactly
what edition this was! Now I have to go back to Cornell to figure out
what I have! :-!

--
Stop population growth before population growth stops us
http://www.zpg.org/Default.htm