Re: Subfield mark in MARC records -- take 2

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Mar 31 1998 - 10:41:26 EST

On Mar 30, 5:01, Chris White wrote:
> thesubfield marker or subfield delimiter is to be at U+001F.
> There was silence on the topic of the glyph / displayed character in
> printed MARC records. We want to get away from using the dollar
> currency symbol for this.

What about U+241F, the SYMBOL FOR UNIT SEPARATOR?

I remember those HP terminals (I think their type was HP 2648, or some
such) we had about 10 years ago: they had those "Graphic pictures for
control codes" (U+2400--2421 & U+2424) in their built-in, mono-space font.
For easier recognition, the two, or three, letters making up each picture
were not on the same base line but rather stacked above each other, or
the subsequent character lowered below the preceding ones baseline --
I cannot remember the exact details right now.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz