Re: FWD: Question re display of unicode

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Wed Apr 01 1998 - 21:49:50 EST

Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com) wrote:
>Perhaps someone on the unicode list can provide this fellow
>with some help.
>
>--Ken

Hi,

In order to display non-Roman languages on the Macintosh (from Java or
anything else), you need to install the appropriate language kit.
Presently Apple sells Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese,
Korean, and Indian language kits. They should be available from any of
the usual Mac mail order places, or anyone else who carries
Apple-labelled software. I know this works for all languages with Apple's
Java VM, Macintosh Runtime for Java (currently at version 2.0). I think
it also works with Netscape's and Microsoft's VMs, at least for Japanese.

You can find out more about Apple Language Kits at:

http://www.apple.com/macos/multilingual/index.html

Hope this help!

David Goldsmith
International and Text Department Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com