Re: non-latin hyphenation?

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 20:10:13 EDT

On 1998-4-6 10:02, Bob_Hallissy@sil.org has written:
> What other conventions exist for denoting an unusual (e.g.,
> middle-of-word) line break?

Up to the year 1941, the Fraktur variant of the Latin script (aka "black
letter", or "Gothic type") was officially used to write German. In this
script, hyphenation is indicated by a glyph resembling an equals-sign,
but slightly slanted (i. e. rising). This glyph is used at the end of the
line, as the hyphen is used in English (and modern German) typography.

I remember that some books written in Fraktur have indicated hyphenation
in a more elaborate way, when it occurred across a page-break. If memory
serves me right (I haven't one of these books at hand, right now), the
partial word from the next page was repeated in a smaller font, at the
bottom of the page, right under the first part of the word. I will try to
check this, later at home.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz