Re: RE: TTF and Unicode surrogates

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Fri May 15 1998 - 18:57:20 EDT

Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com) wrote:

>There are ACTUALLY more important things like Egyptian hieroglyphics, a few
>"recent" historical scripts, and other large historical scripts proposed
>for
>Plane 1. It will not be "outer space" forever.

Well, OK, Klingon was just the first thing to come to mind. I will
rephrase:

How fast do Egyptian hieroglyphics have to draw?

The point I'm trying to make is, even if ligatures were 50% slower than
normal text, which I'm not saying they are, would that be a problem for
characters outside the BMP? I mean, how many people have to get that
important presentation in Linear B done ASAP?

Now, if people *want* to make more implementation work for themselves, I
have no objection. :-) :-)

David Goldsmith
International and Text Department Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com