Re: Hawaiian language site goes Unicode

From: Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 14:34:01 EDT

At 10:36 AM 6/3/98 -0700, Rick McGowan wrote:
>If you're using the OmniWeb browser, go into Edit->UserPreferences,
>find "HTML Display" and set up the character encoding for received
>documents to UTF-8. It works...

I'm not sure we can say it really works if you have
to tell the browser the charset! Isn't the
the responsibility of the HTTP header
stream coming back from the server?

I tried a little experiment to see whether the
server does indeed tell the browser the charset:

telnet www.olelo.hawaii.edu 80
Trying 128.171.15.130...
Connected to kopahela.uhh.Hawaii.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /UTF8/ HTTP/1.1

Here's what the server replied:

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: WebSTAR

Now, how is the browser supposed to know the text is UTF-8?

- Dan