Re: Hawaiian language site goes Unicode

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jun 03 1998 - 15:33:24 EDT

At 6/3/98 11:21 AM, Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu) wrote:

>I'm not sure we can say it really works if you have
>to tell the browser the charset! Isn't the
>the responsibility of the HTTP header
>stream coming back from the server?

It can be done either in the MIME header (via the charset parameter), or
in a META tag in the header of the actual HTML document. Since so few
HTTP servers provide an easy way to append the charset parameter to a
MIME header, most people put in the META tag. It goes in the <HEAD>
section and looks like this:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=utf-8">

All the major browsers will respect this tag.

David Goldsmith
International and Text Department Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com