Re:Support for Unicode / UTF-8 in commercial DBs

From: Chang Run Lin (chang.run.lin@sap-ag.de)
Date: Sun Jul 12 1998 - 22:34:30 EDT

Hello,
    See the relative material about Developer/2000 produced by Oracle,
hope you can find what you want. ORACLE
Regards,
Ling ;-)

You wrote:
We need to store multilingual data in commercial database systems
but are having trouble finding out about support for Unicode
and UTF-8 in these systems. Does anyone have info on this they
could send me or point me to? I would be happy to compile the
answers and post them back to this list.

Also, what would be the effect of storing UTF-8 data without
making the database aware of the encoding? I understand that
certain text-processing operations would not work, but simple
storage, retrieval and comparisons should be OK. Any
thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Joe