Re: Re CJKV typographic variations.

From: John H. Jenkins (
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 16:01:07 EDT

On 7/15/98 9:49 AM, Harry Weeks ( wrote:

>The ISO/IEC 10646-1 standards document is quite good in showing
>the variations among the various traditions for each character,
>something unfortunately left out of the Unicode standards book.
Actually, what 10646 shows is a "typical" glyph for each typographic
tradition. This can also be misleading, as it give no indication of what
is acceptable typographic practice. As a case in point, characters with
the grass radical can have the radical drawn in either its three- or
four-stroke form within Taiwanese typography. It all depends on the
overall typeface style. 10646, however, consistently shows the grass
radical one way for Taiwan and another for Japan, which creates a false

One reason why we put a visual form of the Unihan database on-line was to
clarify this point.

John H. Jenkins