Re: Quotation Character Semantics

From: Andrej Brodnik (
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 03:06:16 EDT

> From: John Cowan <>
> To: Unicode List <>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:04:52 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Quotation Character Semantics
> The statement about English quotation character semantics applies
> primarily to U.S. and Canadian practice. In most other English-speaking
> countries, the custom is to use SINGLE quotation marks for quotations,
> and DOUBLE quotation marks for quotations-within-quotations.

This is not true for Slovene (I mean, in Slovene the outter quotation is
double and the internal is a single) -- and I think the same holds for all
languages from the former Yu. However, the quotations themselves are a bit of
the problem in Slovene.

Officially quotations should be >>like this<< or ,,like this``, however
Latin-2, which should be used for Slovene language does not include >> sign
and << sign, nor the ligatures ,, and ``. Therefore, technically, Latin-2 is
not suited to write Slovene text -- in fact, none of the members of the
ISO8859 is (technically) usable to write Slovene texts.

PS: I'm just wondering who the hack OKed Latin-2 to be used for Slovene