Re: Need for Localized Look of Shared Japanese/Chinese Gliphs??

From: John Cowan (
Date: Fri Jul 24 1998 - 16:36:26 EDT

Marco Mussini wrote:

> A question about Korean: I don't know the language, but I thought they
> were using those compound, 3-sector, square blocks with entirely
> phonetic meaning.

"Hangul", or "Hangeul", depending on the romanization scheme.

> Hearing at your discussions in the group it seems that they also use the
> odd ideograph at times. Can you explain me if ideographs are used only
> to write Chinese/Japanese names or if they are used for writing native
> Korean words as well?

In modern use, only to write Chinese borrowings AFAIK. The North
Korean government abolished hanja (same as kanji, han4zi4) some
years ago, but has recently unabolished them again.

John Cowan
	You tollerday donsk?  N.  You tolkatiff scowegian?  Nn.
	You spigotty anglease?  Nnn.  You phonio saxo?  Nnnn.
		Clear all so!  'Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:40 EDT