FW: Sharp S

From: Hart, Edwin F. (HARTEF1@aplmsg.jhuapl.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 29 1998 - 09:28:51 EDT

I would like to endorse Mr. Stolz's suggestion about retaining the
mixed-case version and then provide an example.

At SHARE and SHARE-Europe meetings (I cannot recall which), we had
discussed this very issue and had come to his conclusion. Essentially,
you store the text in mixed case and then include formatting in the text
to cause the text to be rendered in upper-case. For example (I recall
seeing this particular example used before with respect to ambiguity
with Swiss-German spelling) store the text as:

  <upper-case start>B.B. mit ... Körpermaßen <upper-case end>= B.B.,
and her remarkable physical measurements

and then render it into upper case. Clearly this is rich text as
opposed to the plain text of Unicode. However, case conversion is
unambiguous and straightforward (without requiring context and an expert
speaker of German).

Ed

Edwin F. Hart
Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099
+1-240-228-6926 (from Washington, DC area)
+1-443-778-6926 (from Baltimore area)
+1-240-228-1093 (fax)
edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu <mailto:edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu>