RE: Shan, Mon, Kayin, Chin extensions to Burmese

From: Julia Oesterle (Unicode) (v-juliao@microsoft.com)
Date: Mon Aug 03 1998 - 21:12:00 EDT

Michael,

According to David Crystal, Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language:
Shan is spoken in Burma and South China; belongs to the Tai language family;
and is spoken by approx. 2 million people.
Mon (Talaing) is spoken in Burma and Thailand; is of the Austro-Asiatic
(Mon-Khmer) language family; spoken by approx. 415,000-700,000 people.

Julia