Re: ANSI Macintosh code points.

From: David Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 13:53:21 EDT

Abhishek Kumar Mishra (amishra@adobe.com) wrote:

>We want to write a translator from UNICODE to ANSI (for both MAC and WIN
>platforms). The ANSI WIN codepoints were available through the book
>Developing International Software for Windows NT/95 but have not managed
>the MAC equivalents.
>Any help on getting the ANSI MACINTOSH code points will be highly
>appreciated.

Hi,

Translation tables between many of the Macintosh native character sets
(Mac OS doesn't use the term "ANSI") and Unicode are available at the
Consortium's FTP site. The URL is:

ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/

These don't appear to be the very latest versions, though. In particular,
the very important change of the code point 0xDB in MacRoman from
CURRENCY SIGN (U+00A4) to EURO (U+20AC) isn't reflected there yet.

You can also retrieve the tables from:

<ftp://dev.apple.com/devworld/Technical_Documentation/Misc._Standards/MacOS
_Text_Encodings/>

Hope this helps,

David Goldsmith
International and Text Department Architect
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com