Character missing from SECS & VSECS

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 16:51:48 EDT

Am 1998-8-14 um 12:19 hat Markus Kuhn geschrieben:
> information on the two sets is available from
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/vsecs.html
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs/secs.html
> Please let me know what you think about SECS and VSECS and if this is
> something you would like to see widely implemented.

In both subsets, the character
   017F LATIN SMALL LETTER LONG S
is missing.

This letter is needed to spell German correctly, when written in Gothic
type ("Fraktur", in German) -- even after the recent spelling reform.
Gothic type is still used widely for decorative inscriptions (such as
labels on food cans and beer bottles, advertisements, inn signs, even
bank notes and postal stamps).

It is also needed when the original spelling of German publications from
the 1st half of the 20th century (or, of course, earlier) is to be pre-
sented. The Long S has been used even in some German publications set in
Roman type ("Antiqua", in German). [I can produce a facsimile example,
on request.]

Long S is NOT a glyphic variant, but rather an orthographic feature.
There is no algorithm to decide between ordinary (round), and long, S
(as there is one, e. g. between Greek small, and final, S). Example:
- Wachstube (wax tube)
- Wach<U+017f>tube (guard-house)
Hence, the distinction has to be coded in textual data.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz