Re: Is there a UTF that allows ISO 8859-1?

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 09:56:52 EDT

A 04:16 98-09-03 -0700, odonnell@zk3.dec.com a écrit :

>Like Ken and some others, I think it's pretty cool that the
>UTF-8 text could be shipped through different types of systems
>using different editors without destroying its contents.
>
>-----------------------
>Sandra Martin O'Donnell
>odonnell@zk3.dec.com

Yes, when information is not filtered out and transfered intact, there is
always hope that it can be read while one upgrades to a better viewing
system at least (or processed correctly at another level, while the
information is transformed without loss). If at least this data integrity
feature could have been true before in all systems this would have solved a
lot of my problems with characters.

I also think that this feature is great!

Alain LaBonté
Québec