Re: New Bengali character?

From: Jeroen Hellingman (etmjehe@genesis.etm.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 02:40:58 EDT

> Ken said:
> > Given the information that has come forth about this
> > Bengali "candra e", it sounds like a valid candidate
> > for encoding.
>
> Oooh, I actually came to the opposite conclusion. It sounds like just a
> juxtaposition of existing letters in a familiar and normal way, so it
> shouldn't be encoded. Just use the sequence as described in several notes
> today.

I agree with the latter point, but think that this special rendering
(actually applying viram + letter to a vowel letter) should be clearly
documented in the Unicode standard. I also think it won't harm to
describe all scripts in the way currently Devanagari and Tamil are
described in the standard. I have some web pages on Indian scripts
and Unicode, which are in need for updating, which contain some
information on this issue. <http://members.tripod.com/~jhellingman>

Jeroen Hellingman