Re: Danish & Norwegian sorting

From: Patrik Fältström (
Date: Tue Sep 15 1998 - 02:27:18 EDT

At 19.34 -0700 98-09-14, Brendan_Murray/DUB/ wrote:
>I'm receiving conflicting requirements for these characters, as well as
>confusing information about collating borrowed words containing A/O/U with
>diaresis (umlaut). My understanding is that the correct sort sequence is:
> A, B, C, .... X, Y, Z, AE/Æ, OE/Ø, AA/Å

Note that swedish sorting normally is:

  A, B, C, D, É/E, ... , V/W, X, Y, Z, Å, Ä, Ö

Note the different order for the three last characters, and that 'V' and
'W' "normally" is sorted together. Sometimes though, 'V' and 'W' is sorted
differently. I guess (should I know as a swede? ;-) the difference might
have to do with the question _what_ you are sorting. Just words, or names?

In Swedish, 'OE' is not the same as 'Ö', and sorted according to the
individual characters. The ligature 'Æ' does not exist.