Re: IPA and Unicode

From: Joan Aliprand (
Date: Wed Sep 16 1998 - 17:10:39 EDT

REPLY TO 09/16/98 11:10 FROM UNICODE@UNICODE.ORG: Re: IPA and Unicode

Ken Whistler ( wrote on Wed, 16 Sep 1998 in reply to your
question about Unicode support for IPA:

>Dear Richard,

>My suggestion is that you work with the Unicode Technical Committee
>to develop a proposal for the addition of additional non-IPA
>phonetic symbols in current use (or obsolete, for that matter)
>for addition to the Unicode Standard.

As Chair of the Unicode Technical Committee, I'd like to second Ken's

Appendix B of "The Unicode Standard" covers the basic requirements for a

You should also fill out the form available at this URL:
and submit it with your proposal. The UTC works closely with ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC2/WG2, the Working Group responsible for International Standard
ISO/IEC 10646, so this will be needed.

Two recent proposals are excellent models of what the UTC would like to

Syriac Script

Western Music Symbols

The next UTC meeting is scheduled for December 2-4, hosted by Novell in San
Jose. If you would be interested in attending, please contact Julia
Oesterle, Administrative Director of the Unicode Office

Thank you for your interest in the Unicode Standard,

-- Joan Aliprand
   Chair, UTC