Where to get the Unicode Standard [Was: Re: IPA and Unicode]

From: Joan Aliprand (BR.JMA@rlg.org)
Date: Thu Sep 17 1998 - 16:37:27 EDT

REPLY TO 09/17/98 13:19 FROM UNICODE@UNICODE.ORG: Re: IPA and Unicode

John Cowan <cowan@locke.ccil.org> wrote:

>Richard Cook wrote:
>> Since I do not have handy access to a copy of the Unicode Standard, ...

>> Is the Standard available in book stores? in electronic form,
>> on CD?
>Yes; I've seen it in technical bookstores. The whole Standard is not
>on the CD-ROM; in particular, it has no pictures.

The most efficient way to buy the Unicode Standard is from the Unicode
Consortium. The order form is at:

or you can call (408) 777-3721. All major credit cards are accepted.

But since you're at Berkeley, you might want to check the ASUC bookstore

The Unicode Standard is only available in book form. The CD-ROM
accompanying the book contains various tables, etc., but not the full text.

To be completely up to date, you will also need the supplementary Unicode
Technical Report #8, "The Unicode Standard, Version 2.1," which is
Web-published at:

As John noted, the code charts are also published on the Unicode Web site,
but this is not the complete book.

-- Joan Aliprand
   Chair, Unicode Technical Committee