Re: Strange UTF-8 in Java

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 13:00:41 EDT

> However, any implementation that did not just convert UTF-8 into 16-bit
> Unicode, and was handed UTF-8n text purporting to be UTF-8 text could end up
> with non-uniqueness problems.

I thought that at one time when we first heard about this abomination that
the Java people were perpetrating, we complained and told them how bad it
was... Apparently they persist. Too bad they decided to unleash this
non-conforming blankety-blank on everyone. It would be nice if they
documented it a non-conforming with a big skull and cross-bones. Or maybe
they do. Is there such a thing as documentation for Java? If so, does
anyone read it?

        Rick