UTF-8 support for xterm

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 03:55:34 EDT

Has anyone already looked at getting UTF-8 support into the original
xterm software as found in the Open Group's Sample Implementation and
the XFree86 distribution?

It would be really cool to have a UTF-8 enhanced VT100 terminal emulator
ubiquitously available under Unix. For the first phase, I would only be
interested in pure UTF-8 support without additional mechanisms, such
that Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/blockgraphics/etc. can be used easily
simultaneously. Extending xterm to handle doublewidth character sets,
right-to-left, Arabic, etc. is a completely orthogonal and an at least
one order of magnitude more tricky problem.

(Yes, I know about 9term, uxterm, etc., but I am talking about making
the mainstream xterm quickly ready for at least the part of Unicode that
can be represented with Latin typewriter semantics.)

Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>