UTF-8 support for xterm

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 03:55:34 EDT

Has anyone already looked at getting UTF-8 support into the original
xterm software as found in the Open Group's Sample Implementation and
the XFree86 distribution?

It would be really cool to have a UTF-8 enhanced VT100 terminal emulator
ubiquitously available under Unix. For the first phase, I would only be
interested in pure UTF-8 support without additional mechanisms, such
that Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/blockgraphics/etc. can be used easily
simultaneously. Extending xterm to handle doublewidth character sets,
right-to-left, Arabic, etc. is a completely orthogonal and an at least
one order of magnitude more tricky problem.

(Yes, I know about 9term, uxterm, etc., but I am talking about making
the mainstream xterm quickly ready for at least the part of Unicode that
can be represented with Latin typewriter semantics.)

Markus

--
Markus G. Kuhn, Security Group, Computer Lab, Cambridge University, UK
email: mkuhn at acm.org,  home page: <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/>