Re: Collected Comments on Terminal Graphics Proposal

From: Bjorn Brox (
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 02:40:19 EDT

Frank da Cruz wrote this:
> Thanks to all who commented on the Terminal Graphics proposal. Here are
> some collected responses to particular points.
> > And not forgetting the tele-text block characters on European TVs. With
> > the introduction of TV cards for PCs that also contains a teletext
> > decoder, so there is a need to display the text and block graphics on
> > PC. As far as I remember, the block graphic format is more or less the
> > same as Viewdata with 2 columns and 3 rows per character cell, thus
> > requiring 64 glyphs.
> >
> There are numerous mosaic graphics, Teletex, and similar character sets in
> the ISO Register. Quite honestly, I have never even seen such a terminal
> and do not feel qualified to propose how/if/when/whether this class of glyphs
> should be handled in Unicode.

The national norwegian teletext service on WWW is using a
Teletex-font (nrkttv.ttf) when properly configured. (sorry, it's in Norwegian)
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to cut and paste from such a window?

You should also take a look on the corporate use subarea defined by Adobe
Some of your maths symbols, and probably others is covered by this range..

Bjorn Brox, CORENA Norge AS,
Kirkegaardsvn. 45, P.O.Box 1024, N-3601 Kongsberg, NORWAY
Phone: +47 32737435, Fax: +47 32736877, Mobile: +47 92638590