Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 08 1998 - 18:29:20 EDT

"Tony Harminc" <tzha0@amdahl.com> wrote:

> Just a few very minor comments. In general my comments are not meant
> to be inserted as text - they're for your information. I've left
> headings in to help identify the places.

I appreciate them, many thanks!

> > This document represents a survey of the following terminals:
> >
> > IBM 3164 and 3270 [15,16,27]
>
> Really, "3270" is not a terminal, i.e. there has never been a device
> made by IBM with that model number. Rather, 3270 is an architecture...

Right -- sloppy wording again.

> with a large number of IBM terminals having been made that conform in
> varying degrees to its specifications. Typical 3270 model numbers
> are 3277 (the earliest implementation c. 1971), 3278 (the thing that
> most people think of when they think of a "real" 3270, c. 1977)

The one that weighs about 700 pounds :-) (318 Kg)

(Actually it's not so heavy compared to the 2741...)

> > 5.3. EBCDIC Control Pictures
> > EBCDIC name. There are no known "2X" forms in use.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I don't understand what this means. Are you saying that none of the
> EBCDIC control characters in the range X'20'-X'2F' are in use ? This
> is certainly not true. It probably means something else, but it's
> not obvious to me.

Sorry, sequential reading required again :-) You probably skipped directly
to the EBCDIC sections. "2X" was my shorthand for 2-character abbreviations
for 3-character mnemonics, such as used in the Display Controls font of
Wyse and Televideo terminals (see Section 5.1).

> > Table 5.5: 3270 Terminal Operator Status Indicators
> >
> > Code Description
> > E080 Human stick figure
> > E081 Human stick figure in box
> > E082 Clock at 6:10 (or 1:30)
>
> Oops - I think I meant 2:30. :-)

Oops, right.

> As for the double vs single width issue, I did look at some "real"
> 3270s today, unfortunately made by Memorex/Telex (who were never
> known for great faithfulness to the IBM model). They have a very
> tall, thin, squished looking clock that is clearly a single cell.
> One PC-based terminal emulator I have is TCP3270 from McGill
> University (since sold to Hummingbird Communications), and it ships a
> font with the two clock halves in separate characters in order to get
> a satisfactorily round clock face of legible size. It winds up being
> a 1 1/2 width character.

Do you think this is worth worrying about? We certainly have a lot of
glyphs in Unicode that are more complex than this but, presumably, fit
in a single cell.

> > E083 White rectangle with stroke (1)
> > E084 Black rectangle with stroke (2)
> > E085 Lighting with stroke (3)
> > E086 Security key (4)
> > E087 Black and White Right-Pointing Triangles (5)
>
> Elsewhere it was suggested that the 4 and 6 in boxes were just
> inverse video characters; I think they are different. In particular,
> if we have a "white" numeral, then the surrounding box is also
> "white", and the background inside the box is "black".

Do you think it matters? We need to conserve code points whenever possible;
in this case it would seem to me that no information is lost by displaying
full-cell inverse video digits. I should probably have a look at a real
327x...

> > (4) A picture of a key (indicating the keyboard is locked).
>
> This should not be unified with other lock or key-like symbols, in
> particular with the locked padlock commonly used to indicate shift
> lock. (This isn't in Unicode, I believe, but I think is part of Alan
> LaBonte's keyboard standards, and so might get in via that route.)
> This one is a key (rather than a lock) to show that a (physical) key
> is needed to use the terminal.

Noted. And I do remember seeing a padlock on an IBM 327x terminal screen,
don't I? It was a long time ago, maybe I dreamed it. Anyway, I can't find
any reference to it now.

> > [13] IBM System/360 Principles of Operation, GA22-6821-8, Poughkeepsie,
> > NY, 1970.
>
> I would ditch the reference to the S/360 POO - it's been pretty much
> obsolete since 1970 or so. Fine for a historic reference, but I think
> [29] (as updated) is the better ref.

This is my reference for Table 5.3A. Thanks for the other updated