Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 13:06:51 EDT

Frank wrote...

> The reason these need to be encoded separately from feminine/masculine
> ordinals are their size

Ah, I figured so. In this case, they should just be unified with the
existing codes.

> Since terminal emulators and data analyzers use fixed-pitch fonts, we can't
> just switch to another point size to display these characters, since that will
> wreck the matrix arrangement of the screen.

Eh? There are plenty of fixed-pitch fonts that include masculine and
feminine ordinal indicators taking up the same size cell as everything else.
Big or small, unless you need to distinguish these from small ordinals for
the emulation of ONE Actual Physical Terminal, there's no point in encoding
them again.

> Seriously, the hex bytes are entirely separable from the rest. I'll be
> glad to cut them loose unless somebody speaks up strongly in their favor.

I'll repeat myself strongly in their disfavor. I think you should remove
them from this proposal, whether or not you make another proposal for them.

        Rick