RE: UTF-8 text samples

From: Bob Sandstrom (sandstro@cac.washington.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 16:59:02 EDT

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Jungshik Shin wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Donald Page wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Kevin Bracey wrote:
> >
> > > In message <9810160027.AA10060@unicode.org>
>
> > > What Donald did do wrong (or rather his software/OS did) was to label the
> > > attachment as:

> > > That totally scuppers display of the attachment in a charset-aware mail
> > > reader.
> >
> > Hmm, yes don't know how to fix that one with pine. Any suggestions?
>
> In your particular case, you can just go to Pine configuration menu
> and change charset to UTF-8(as ohter part of your message is just
> US-ASCII which can be labeled as UTF-8 as well) . However, this is a
> pain when you need to switch among different MIME charsets(e.g.
> ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8) pretty often. Even worse is you can't send
> multiple attachments(text/* type) in different MIME charsets.
>

> I've been pushing Pine developers to come up with a way to enable
> users to designate MIME charset *per* attachment basis(and per header
> basis as different mail headers can use different MIME charsets) and to
> change MIME charset (temporarily) in mail composition screen(instead of
> configuration menu) for a couple of years, but virtually nothing has
> been added to their I18N/L10N support since Pine 3.93 or so.
>
> Jungshik Shin

Hello. I work at the University of Washington, where pine comes from, but
I don't work on pine.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to designate MIME charset *per
attachment*. But the feature of being able to change MIME charset
temporarily in the mail composition screen sounds like something which
should only be used inside a terminal emulator that can also change
charset on the fly. That is so tricky that I'd rather not do it.

Given the shortcomings of the current pine, here is my workaround. First,
I make custom versions of .pinerc, one for each charset,
using pine's Setup screens. I set the character-set and
turn on the pine features
        enable-full-header-cmd
        pass-control-characters-as-is
Then...

In my ISO-8859-1 terminal emulator, I run
        pine -p .pinerc.iso-8859-1
In my ISO-2022-CN terminal emulator, I run
        pine -p .pinerc.iso-2022-cn
I don't have a UTF-8 terminal emulator with cursor control, so for UTF-8,
I run
        pine -p .pinerc.utf8
in a regular ISO-8859-1 terminal emulator, and bring in the UTF-8
from elsewhere.

The following are some UTF-8 chess pieces. (I hope.)
I am sending this from pine 3.95.

Bob Sandstrom
University of Washington