Re: Dependent vowels

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 16:06:43 EST

    Kenneth> I would add to Kamal Mansour's elegant reply the additional note
    Kenneth> that a good reason to use the Indic dependent vowels as encoded
    Kenneth> in Unicode (and described in the Unicode discussions of
    Kenneth> Devanagari and Tamil) is so that the text you produce is
    Kenneth> interchangeable and interpretable by other Unicode
    Kenneth> implementations. Arbitrary departures from the recommended text
    Kenneth> models for various scripts might make a particular implementation
    Kenneth> easier in some respects, but it will result in text which may not
    Kenneth> be interpreted correctly by other implementations that follow the
    Kenneth> guidelines on the text model.

Thanks All. The note was ill-considered because I knew better. Too damn
tired these days.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab Here is to a good rule of thumb:
New Mexico State University Too clever can be dumb.
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL -- Ogden Nash
Las Cruces, NM 88003