Re: UTF-8 and browsers

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 17:44:08 EST

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, David Goldsmith wrote:

> Kolbjørn A
> (8?=aambo@ub.uio.noj=F8rn?==?iso-8859-1?Q?_?==?iso-8859-1?Q?Aamb=F8?)
> wrote:
>
> >Since the MacOs managers now support Unicode it would hopefully be a matter
> >of time
> >before one web browser or another support display of UTF-8 also.
>
> Both Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator on the Mac OS
> have supported UTF-8 for some time.

  That's what I guessed when I replied to his query. However, to make it
clear, I'd like to ask you some more questions. (especially, I heard
from a Korean user that he can't view a UTF-8 encoded web page (mostly
of Korean precomposed Hangul syllables) at

     http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jshin/faq/utf8_kr.html

with his Netscape 4.0x under English MacOS 8.x plus Korean Lang. Kit.
By supporting UTF-8, you meant both Netscape and MS IE can display web
pages encoded in UTF-8 with wide variety of characters drawn from UCS-2
(i.e. NOT just characters belonging to a single ISO-8859-x or one of CJK
BUT text made up of characters from multiple ISO-8859-x, CJK, and other
character sets) as long as (a) font(s) to render those characters are
available. Unix/X11 version of Netscape "dynamically" make a
'Pseudo-Unicode' font collecting glyphs from all the fonts available on
the system. On the other hand, MS-Windows version of Netscape requires
a single UCS-2 encoded font (such as Cyberbit from Bitstream). It'd
be nice to know which is the case under MacOS. Thank you,

      Jungshik