Re: UTF-8/Mac OS/PowerMail

From: Trond Trosterud (Trond.Trosterud@hum.uit.no)
Date: Mon Nov 02 1998 - 10:55:00 EST

>> Herbert Elbrecht <elbrecht@csi.com> wrote:
>> > I understand, that UTF-8 is Unicode TRANSFER Format only -
>> > no way to enter what's not covered by Apple Language Kits -
>> Yes, that is correct.
>> That is the way Apple specified its development standards !
>> jean michel/ctm qa

>Just another Golden Cage for MacUsers!
>Who's to Think Different?
>I really wonder!
>Herbert Elbrecht
>elbrecht@csi.com

Actually, Windows 9x fares no better, if we are to believe their developers
(Nadine Kano: "Yes, Virginia, Windows 95 Does Do Unicode", in Microsoft
Developer network News July/August 1995). In order to access a UCS
character, the conversion routine must have some (8-bit) one-byte codetable
(she mentiones cp 1250, 1252) to convert it to (one/multibyte in the case
of CJK; she mentions Shift-JIS, cp 932), and any BMP character not in any
of these code tables (for any of the commercially interesting languages,
that is) is hopelessly Outside. Think The Same Way, in brief. Latin
Extended A, B, C, Cyrillic Extended A, B, is still inaccessible. I still
haven“t seen evidence that proves her wrong (claims, though).

Trond.

Trond Trosterud t +47 7764 4763
Lingvistisk institutt, Det humanistiske fakultet h +47 7767 3639
N-9037 Universitetet i Tromsų, Noreg f +47 7764 4239
mailto:trond@isl.uit.no http://www2.isl.uit.no/trond/index.html