Re: Devanagari

From: Michael Forgey (forgey@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 10:29:10 EST

At 08:35 AM 11/4/98 -0800, Thomas Mack wrote:

>Is it really this way that the devanagari compound letters are missing
>here or did "I" miss something substantial? Do I have to define some
>"characters in a user definable area"

As explained in the other emails, for data storage you do not need user
defined codes. But in the rendering process you do. At least I believe
that's the only way when using Truetype fonts in one of the Windows
operating systems.

The Windows function which selects the proper glyphs from the font does so
using each glyphs Unicode value which is stored in the font. So for glyphs
such as ligatures which are not defined in Unicode, you will need to define
user defined codes for that process. But again, those codes are only used
internally in the rendering process, and do not get stored in Unicode data
files.

>(does anybody know of glyph files with devanagari ligatures?)

Unitype, Inc. has a multi-language word processing package which includes
Devanagari fonts. www.unitype.com.

mike
Michael Forgey
2201 W. William Cannon Dr. #224